Friday, May 3
1. Empty nets and traps on the Louisiana gulf coast some three years after the deep water Horizon disaster.
2. Have women lost the moral obligation to cook or is a generation of femivores turning housekeeping into a righteous political movement? Wait. What? Blame Michael Pollan. Or don't.
3. P.S. 244 in Flushing, Queens, runs a vegetarian cafeteria. Goodbye and good riddance, cheesy chicken over rice. Speaking of lunch. And, lunch ladies. Jarrett Krosoczka thinks they're super human. And, thanks to Jarrett, Lunch Ladies now star in their own graphic novel.
4. Speaking of super heroes, Alex and Betsy Hitt have been farming together for over 30 years. They love what they do and they've taught a new generation to love farming and live well. Now that's a legacy.
5. Virginians are trading tobacco rows for a bumper crop of chick peas. Stephen Colbert has the story.
6. Time for the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby. Kick off the weekend with interactive fun! Re-read The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved by Hunter S. Thompson. Take this quiz: Cocktail Name or Racehorse. Mix yourself a julep.