Monday, February 25

Meet Guest Blogger Penny De Los Santos

Meet Penny De Los Santos, a food and travel photographer who will be guest blogging for us for the next couple of months. We've enjoyed getting to know Penny through our annual Southern Foodways Symposium, and we've admired her work in Saveur, National Geographic, and many other print and web publications.

Here's an introduction to Penny, in her own words:  

"I began photographing as a way to understand my own diverse cultural background and identity. 

I was born in Europe to an American military family that eventually settled in small-town Texas. With generations of family history tied to the Texas-Mexico border, my family heritage inspired my curiosity about culture.

From the historic all-male dining clubs of Spain's Basque Country, to Jerusalem’s most suicide bomber besieged markets, photographing food culture has been at the heart of my work.

I have been fortunate enough to travel extensively throughout the U.S. and to over 30 countries on photography assignments.

When I am not traveling, I live in New York City’s Soho neighborhood with my dog, Nigella."

Penny's guest blog posts will give us a behind-the-scenes look at her travels and her sources of inspiration. We look forward to sharing her work with you. Check back later this week for her first post.

Finally, we invite you to get to know a little bit more about Penny by watching her 2012 TEDxAustin talk about food and human connection. As she explains, "Food connects us like nothing else I have ever seen…. Food is the most honest and simple expression of who we are."