Monday, June 11

Meet Adrian Miller, Barbecue Guest Blogger


Name: Adrian Miller

Home Base: Denver, Colorado

Occupations: Writer, speaker, and political campaign manager. Adrian is a recovering lawyer, a former special assistant to President Bill Clinton, and a former deputy legislative director and senior policy analyst for Colorado Governor Bill Ritter, Jr. He has a book on the history of soul food forthcoming from UNC Press in 2013.



Barbecue Street Cred: "My first job was in a barbecue joint: Luther's BBQ in Aurora, Colorado. I didn't tend the pits, but I was responsible for cleaning up the remains of the day (a fancy way of saying I was a busboy). In 2004, I became a certified barbecue judge with the Kansas City Barbecue Society." 

Preferred Style of Barbecue: "I am a devotee of the Kansas City style overall," says Adrian. "But the Memphis and Central Texas styles are making an increasingly strong play for my affection."

Triumphant Barbecue Moment: "The three-day SFA Field Trip to Austin, Texas, in 2002. The barbecue was a revelation, and it was one of the happiest times of my life."
[Editor's note: Adrian offered this triumphant moment completely unprompted. Really.]

Check back for Adrian's weekly dispatches, which will focus on African American and Native American barbecue traditions.