Friday, March 9
Jane Black owns this week's six-pack! Seriously. Since we started this (mostly) weekly round-up of Southern food stories, we've never had an author appear more than once in a post. So, raise your glass to Ms. Black. She earned it!
1. During the Cajun Country Ramble this summer, SFA Founder, Paul Prudhomme told us that he refused to put a freezer in K-Paul's. Commendable right? And, likely possible only in a big deal chef-owned restaurant with (at the time) one location. Not so fast. Nick Pihakis and his partners have built a restaurant chain (27 stores and counting) with that same devotion to quality and freshness. And, he's not done yet...
2. Actor, entrepreneur, and New Orleans native, Wendell Pierce will open Sterling Farms, a full service grocery store designed to serve lower income shoppers in Marrero, Louisiana. Grist believes Pierce is on to something.
3. South by Southwest starts today. Eating Alabama, a film by Andrew Beck Grace about food, farm, and tradition, debuts tomorrow morning at 11:00. Can't make it to Austin? Enjoy the trailer here.
4. Homer Alert! Homer Alert! Admittedly, this story has very little to do with Southern food. But, it has everything to do with Water Valley, MS and it features Erin Austen Abbott, owner of Amelia Presents, the jewel box of a store in the Lyric Theater where many a Symposium attendee has spent many a dollar! As a bonus, the gorgeous photos accompanying the story come courtesy of Florence, Alabama's own, Robert Rausch.
5. Viral videos aren't just for cat lovers anymore. Southern food got its due this week. Charlie Rose interviewed Sean Brock last week. This week, we all got to watch.
6. 15 years ago today Notorious B.I.G. passed. Francis Lam offers up a food focused remembrance.