Friday, February 10
Hello, winter. It's about time you showed up! Snuggle up on this cold, rainy, and in some cases snowy (Nashville, you're so lucky!) Friday and let your six-pack keep you warm.
1. The National Portrait Gallery tells the history of America through individuals who have shaped its culture. It is only right and fitting that a portrait of Leah Chase working in her kitchen (painted by Gustave Blanche III) will join the NPG's permanent collection.
2. Squirrel hunting and cooking are making a comeback. Don't call it a comeback, Grist! For many Southern families like the Colleton-Greens of Awendaw, SC these are skills that never disappeared.
3. The folks at Perennial Plate want to introduce you to a Bhutanese family now living in Atlanta and farming a small plot of land in the Jolly Avenue Community Garden. Take a minute to get acquainted. You'll be glad you did.
4. If you don't know about Restaurant Opportunities Centers United, you should. This group, organized in the wake of 9/11, seeks to paint a clear picture of the restaurant industry; to be a voice for restaurant workers; and to address historic and often ignored injustice within the restaurant industry. A couple of weeks ago they published their annual Diners Guide. The ROC guide doesn't focus on where you'll find the most succulent cut of meat or the most inventive cocktail. Rather, it points out which restaurant owners pay a sustainable living wage, provide health care, or offer opportunities for advancement. And, on the heals of that gem, released this week (just in time for Black History Month) Blacks In the Industry Brief. Eat ethically, indeed.
5. Emily Wallace and Kate Medley don't just pay at the pump and drive on. And, if you find yourself in the Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill area of North Carolina, you shouldn't either. Wander in. Have a bite to eat. Visit with the locals. As Mary Jo Shively of the late great Designing Women said, "Can you believe it? I mean, who would have thought — homemade food in a gas station? I mean, is that just in the South or what? Now you can go in get your tires checked, buy some birth control in the bathroom and have a little turkey and dressing on the way out."
6. Valentine's Day is just around the corner. You didn't think we forgot? Our friends over at Cook to Bang offer you the tips and tools to cut to the chase. Dining room to bedroom in 60 minutes is their promise.