Friday, July 1
Happy July and Happy July 4th Weekend! For our friends in the South, July means summer's last hurrah (although summer's heat won't wave good-bye until October.) Food-wise, right now we've got it all: blueberries, blackberries, peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers, and okra. Before you head to your garden, the pool, the beach, or your kitchen, take a minute, bask in the quiet and the AC, and enjoy this week's six-pack.
1. Sure, lobster, shrimp, and crab are a suppertime splurge for most of us. Yes, they're succulent and tasty. But, love of crustaceans shouldn't lead to a life of crime.
2. John Kessler had an adventure with a "ginger microwave cake." The cake expired in 2009. Kessler ate it anyway. He's like that.
3. Al-Maida Chinese Restaurant and the Dai family call Tripoli home. Despite the civil war raging around them, they still deliver. You're right, this one has nothing to do with the South. We just like it!
4. It's been a little over a year since the Gulf Oil Disaster began. And, not quite a year since the Deepwater Horizon was finally capped. Brett Anderson introduces us to the Collins family, lifelong oystermen, who are fighting to keep their family business alive.
5. Kathleen Purvis and Andrea Weigl have teamed up to bravely name the Top 25 Tar Heel Eats. Fight amongst yourselves!
6. Uvalda mayor, Paul Bridges, is an unlikely hero in Georgia's battle over immigrant rights but a welcome hero in the battle for basic human kindness and decency.