Saturday, June 25
1. Summer officially began earlier this week, and in honor of the season, The New York Times offers ideas for simple and refreshing cocktails with three ingredients or fewer. One of the experts they consulted was spirits savant Bobby Heugel of Anvil Bar and Refuge in Houston. Be on the lookout for another one of Bobby's signature libations in the August issue of GRAVY.
2. If you missed photographer Landon Nordeman's stunning barbecue portraits in the latest issue of Saveur, catch the audio slideshow on the magazine's website.
3. Kim Severson discovers Austin trio The Beat Divas, who shake up their cooking classes with food-themed songs, both original and classic.
4. The Atlantic's Corby Kummer visits "What's Cooking, Uncle Sam?" a new exhibit at the National Archives in Washington, DC.
5. How does your garden grow? If it could use a little help this summer, take a lesson from John Coykendall, Master Gardener at Blackberry Farm in Walland, Tenn.
6. The South's booming Hispanic population has brought a host of top-notch (but often under-the-radar) taquerias to the region. But if you're looking to branch out, try a pupusa, the Salvadoran corn-masa pancake stuffed with beans, meat, cheese, or vegetables. Here's a how-to video on vegetarian pupusas from La Macarena restaurant in New Orleans.