Tuesday, May 31

SFA ORAL HISTORY WORKSHOP REPORT #1: SARA CAMP ARNOLD


Photograph by Sara Camp Arnold

As part of last week's oral history workshop, participants were asked to create blog posts--short pieces in response to any part of their time spent in Oxford. We will be featuring their submissions here over the course of the next few weeks.

* * *

After learning how to conduct SFA oral histories from Amy Evans Streeter (what a wonderful teacher!), I'm excited to break out my tape recorder and camera and get to work in North Carolina later this summer. But since I'm spending the next two months here in Oxford, our trip to the Farmers' Market also offered me a practical lesson in the possibilities of grocery shopping beyond the Kroger. As a lover of Thai-style green curry, I can't wait to go back to the Farmers' Market for a can of curry paste and some fresh vegetables. I'll simmer the curry paste with coconut milk, mix it with the vegetables and maybe some chicken, and serve it over rice.

SARA CAMP ARNOLD
Folklore, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, NC