Wednesday, August 18

BUYING YOUR FAVORITE FOODS, IN CONTEXT

Mark Lyons for The New York Times

Buying Your Favorite Foods, In Context

I'm not sure what I like most about this article in the NY Times today, but I think it may be the picture of Anna Sturgeon hugging a Cheerwine bottle to her face. But I also agree that purchasing a local product where it's made (in contrast to just ordering products online) can totally change the experience. I'm all for buying things online; three cheers for entrepreneurship! But eating artisan chocolate a few miles from where it's made or a tomato that's still warm from the field--it (arguably) changes the taste, the experience.

"A treat bought at its source and carried home by [your] own hands is somehow more genuine, more delicious, more earned."

To read the entire article, "For Some Foods, You Just Had to Be There," click here.

To read what you should do with that bottle of Cheerwine, after you make a pilgrimage to the Carolinas, click here.