Wednesday, April 14

10 QUESTIONS WITH JOE YORK OF CUD

The Atlanta Film Festival blog sat down with Joe York to pick his brain about CUD. See the film at the Atlanta Film Festival on Wed, April 21 at 9:30am at the Landmark Midtown Art Cinema. Can't wait until then? Watch the trailer here.

If you could describe your film using only 3 words, what would they be?
Honest, Funny, Beefy
Is there a character or subject in your film you most identify with? Would you switch places with them just for a day?
I identify with cow #31 from the cud chewing montage. If I had to be a cow, I'd want to be that cow.
What's the one thing about your film you're most proud of?
I'm most proud of the fact that this film is really a megaphone for the voice of Will Harris. He's an incredible man doing incredible work and if this film can help his voice be heard by more and more folks, then I'm proud of that.
When you first screened your film, was there a moment, scene or character the audience reacted to, that surprised you?
I'm never surprised by how folks react to Will Harris. He's a funny, smart, passionate, no crap kind of guy and people really fall in love with him. I can't tell you how many women have come up to me after screenings to ask if he's single. Sorry, ladies, he's happily married.
What do you want audiences to take away from your film?
Will Harris makes a statement in the film that goes like this, "You know, you are what you eat, and I think that probably you are what you eat eats." I hope folks will see CUD and think a bit more about what they eat and what what they eat eats.
Who are the directors, filmmakers and artists that most influenced your film or yourself?
I really like Errol Morris' series "First Person". I keep trying to do a portrait of an individual that's half as good as any one of the profiles in that series. I doubt I'll ever do it, but it's a heck of great benchmark to shoot for.
Where do you see your film in 5 years?
I'll see it the same place anyone else can, at southernfoodways.org. That was shameless, I know.
Someone has to go to the bathroom during your film, and they have to miss part of your film. Do they miss the beginning, the middle or the end?
Our film is like the small southern town where it was shot. If you blink, you'll miss it. But if you pay close attention for the short time it takes to go through it, you'll come out better for having done it on the other side.
How do you properly refer to Atlanta? A) The ATL B) Hotlanta C) The A D) The Dirty South E) Anything but B, no one in Atlanta who knows better still uses it. F) I'm embarrased to say I still use Hotlanta and I now a vow to never use it again except to denounce as corny and outdated. G) Huh? What does this have to do with filmmaking? (But, the answer is E)
F) I'm embarrased to say I still use Hotlanta and I now a vow to never use it again except to denounce it as corny and outdated.
Extra Credit: Use our 2010 festival words EXPERIENCE, THINK, LAUGH, CONNECT, FEEL and Do in a sentence describing your film.
If you like experiencing, thinking, laughing, connecting and feeling, then you'll absolutely love watching CUD! If you you don't like those things, you should DO it anyway!